Thursday 28 January 2016

Fashion Magazine Research

Online Research:

Vogue Magazine:
The feel of this outfit for me is very retro. From head to toe, it's a blast from the past but with an urban twist. The bell bottom jeans with the peep toed sandals and the gypsy styled top really gives a 1970's feel. However, the very structured coat in a burnt camel colour gives a very modern feel. It works as the colours of the shoes and coat compliment each other very well therefore, it's not like stacking era's on top of one another. The target audience for this look is 20+ for females with a very well income. This particular image was shot for a company who works with vogue called acne studios. The price of jeans in the store vary from $200 upwards but, also sells male jeans. The magazine itself has a wide target audience. For the text, their isn't any. This is due to it being an online spread. I personally really enjoy this look on location as it shows the outfit in action. Even though it is on location, I think that artificial soft light has been used to encourage the colours even more. I really like the high fashion but casual look. This is the type of feel I'm going for.



Elle Magazine:
Again, these outfits are both very retro with a very minimalistic aesthetic. The trend at the moment includes a lot of suede but, it can be very expensive however, the text clearly states that it is 'high street' fashion. Because of this, it could target a younger target audience with an average income. This is nicely shot as it shows the clean lines and contrast in the clothing that would usually cost a lot more than high street clothing. The typography of the title fits well into the minimalistic look as it doesn't draw your attention more than anything else. I like the fact that these outfits were shot studio as it doesn't restrict the number of places you could wear this outfit. As it's woman fashion, soft light is used pairing with high key lighting. It gives a very delicate feel to the image.





Harper's Bazaar:
Going a little bit more high fashion in terms of clothing and the posing of the model, it looks very modern. The clean lines of the dress and the shapes created by the model really emphasise this. As this is a more elegant look while still showing skin, I think it targets mid 20's to mid 40's woman. The title and headline are very visible however, doesn't distract you from the model as only muted colours were used. I think the use of the studio was a perfect choice for this image as you had the most control of the lighting that was used. I think low light was used very lightly. The use of this would've been to simply create the shadows. Another factor that I like about this image is that the matte red lipstick draws your attention of the model, especially because the rest of the image is very monochromatic.






Teen Vogue:
Then going to the complete opposite of the last image, as much colour has been used as possible. This is because the target audience is teenage females. Bright/fun colours really appeal to them. With the typography, from the headline and titles, the pops of yellow are to make the eyes flow around the page. The blue is to catch the attention of the viewer. The aesthetic of this says 90's to me. This is because of the turtle neck and the bright clean lines of the neck and the details on it. The flawless complexion and the dark skin tone really compliment the bright colours of the image. This is probably my favourite cover.   I really enjoy the yellow and will potentially incorporate it into my work.











Library Research:


Whilst looking through fashion magazines and having examples in front of me, I noticed that sometimes, the item that is actually being advertised, isn't the main focus. For example, this image is advertising earrings. I saw a lot of examples of this however, I wanted to evaluate this image. I understand and enjoy the thought of advertising something not so obvious but this image didn't make sense to me. The background of this image is muted colours, creams and browns. the dress however, is bright red, contrasting to the background. This I really enjoy but, the earrings are barely visible. The image is stunning however, how can you advertise something you can barely see? I can say there is aspects I love about this image and some, I just don't understand. On the other hand, maybe it's the scene of a woman holding the dress up with accessories to see if it would look good together but it isn't clear.



The older style magazine spreads I'm very into. I love the whole aesthetic of the retro vibe. The target audience could range from younger males/females, to older. The colour in the location coloured shot is beautiful. I like that the exposed brick of the building is showing through the tree's, tying in the burnt red in the males hair. And of the camel colour of the females top, tying the colours of the leaves in. I think natural light has been used, catching the height of the sun on a sunny mid-day. The black and white page I also love as it holds a lot of textures and different stripes and leading lines. It floes the eye naturally. I also like the four images together. By doing this, it gives an equal amount of coverage of both gender clothing. I would like to shoot mine in black and white as I love the outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment