Thursday 12 November 2015

LP Task 2- Record covers

1960's :
Francoise Hardy 

 I chose the top image as inspiration because I fell in love with the light hitting the side of Françoise Hardy's body. It makes her look angelic and sweet. However, because the task given was to take inspiration from the image and not to re-create it, I decided to focus on the light. Of course, to have the same effect of the cover, I'd pretty much have to copy the image but change the background however, I didn't want to do that as I wanted my image to really contrast. So, sticking with the lighting, I decided to capture the light of the candles. The cover is light and has a background however, my image is dark with the main and only focus on the candles. I also changed the genre of my cover. Françoise Hardy is known for her soft indie voice so I decided to make this cover gospel. Again, linking in with the candles as they were in a cathedral. 

1970's :
Sex Pistols

I decided to chose sex pistols as they're British. This cover in particular because of the amount of British there is in it. Not only the very obvious Union Jack but the Queen and 'God save the queen.' Obviously this caused some attention on the band as they were basically mocking the queen for where the typography is placed however, it created an opportunity for me. Of course, The Big Ben is located in the capital, London and I wasn't prepared to pay the costs of travelling down for one one picture so, I used Town Hall instead as it has a similar resemblance. Instead of just using the Town Hall, I added a model in as the sex pistols were in the majority of other covers, so by incorporating both, it represents them better.

1980's :
Aretha Franklin

When we was given this brief, I knew that I wanted to do just a plain portrait image in black and white. I like the combination of black and white with natural light as it gives a very angelic look. So, when researching covers I came across 'Aritha Franklin The Greatest Hits' I knew I could take inspiration from this image and I could create what I wanted. The main thing I took from this image was the black and white tonal colours, even though the image is in colour, there was no other colour besides in the background and writing. The other factor I chose to use was the hair. I asked my model to come with curly hair as it ties in with the 80's perfectly.

Contact prints;


No comments:

Post a Comment